My Story: Heat Damage

I hadn't noticed damage until I started flat ironing my hair. I was like a heatorexic. My hair was getting thinner and shorter and I was flat ironing it once a week on the highest setting. I should have been at 300 and I was at 410. People around me kept telling me how pretty my hair was and how they thought I had a perm. I was totally oblivious to the split ends, the weak hair shaft and how thin my hair was getting toward the ends. Someone finally bluntly told me, "You're frying your hair out." I was taken back and a little insulted until I took pictures of my hair.

July June

These were taken at the begining of my hair care journey. As you can see my ends were very thin, a result of flat ironing my hair once a week at 410 degrees.

Goal

December 2009. My hair was healthy in this picture.
I was only pressing my hair once every three weeks.

What is it?
I tried natural styles but they almost always failed. You can see through to my scalp in some areas and the thin ends really ruined the style.

These pictures were taken after a protein treatment April 2011.

Close up of my ends which used to be straight.
I got frustrated one day and just cut them off. I'm glad I did :)

I love they way my hair is now. Heat damage has taught me a valuable lesson.
One that I will never have to be taught again.

. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Search

Powered by Blogger.